Monday 29 August 2011

Home brewing

The Curate has a hobby - home brewing. This is not rhubarb or parsnip wine making, occasionally it is sloe gin producing but usually it is beer brewing - and usually a dark beer. This hobby always proves to be a good topic of conversation amongst men. To try to encourage me to take an interest, The Curate made a barrel of lighter Mexican style beer just after we moved in. It was supposed to be ready for the hot summer that was predicted. The process involves a large pressurised beer sphere that takes up rather a lot of space. When we had a utility room this was not too much of a problem but in this present house The Curate had to be resourceful in order to find a space.

For a few days I could smell brewing on the air but I presumed it was because a new sphere had been started. When I was putting the clean washing into the airing cupboard I noticed the smell was stronger and  I could hear a hissing sound coming from the beer sphere that had been smuggled onto the floor of the cupboard. The seal had failed and all the clean sheets and washing were being gently misted by a fine beer spray from the leaking tap on the sphere! They do say hops are good for improving sleep. All beer making has now been banned from the airing cupboard.
But now the repaired sphere has now found its way into the bathroom!

Beer Facials anyone?!!
 (The nutrients in hops are supposed to add strength and shine to hair)

Egg White Beer Mask

Mix together Beer Mask Ingredients-
  • 1 Tablespoon plain yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Beer
  • 1 Egg white
  • 1 teaspoon lemon
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

Apply mask mixture to face. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Pat dry.

4 comments:

  1. Woops, sorry but I laughed out loud whilst reading the 'case of the beer in the airing cupboard' and could picture the result before actually reaching the end of the sentence.
    I hope the Mexican beer didn't have chillies in it!?
    A few years ago late husband and I made apple cider that disappeared mysteriously whenever we left the house. Several years later youngest son and friend commented on how good that cider was!!
    At least beer making is an ancient hobby:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this made me laugh! Brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I can laugh about it now but at the time I think there was steam coming out of my ears. The beer is excellent( no chillies) - we just needed that hot weather to drink it in. (Actually we need no excuses to drink it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! But I can see why you had ear-steam-in-the -moment! Thanks for the recipe...anything helps ;) !

    ReplyDelete